Monday, April 14, 2008

Successful shopping weekend

As you may have read from J's post on Friday, on the weekend we ventured out to look at a couch for the bedroom.

Of course, while the mission was a complete success, it was not without drama.

Let me firstly, re-cap on what the big man wrote last week:

"While I am after the pure functionality of a couch, A will be coming along with me to ensure that I dont buy anything that is too big, too small, too high backed, the wrong colour, wrong style, or worst of all, something that buggers up the feung shui of the room."

We were waiting for a friend to arrive for breakfast on Saturday morning and thought we would look at a couple of furniture places to see if anything captured our eye. The brief was as follows:

- something simple
- no wider than bed or higher than foot of bed
- no bulky furniture
- must be dark blue (due to our feature wall)

It was pretty easy to rule out most of the 2 seaters and we both laid eyes on a very slimline, square looking 2 seater couch ..... perfect. We both sat ... agreed that it was comfortable enough for a few hours sitting at a time and we both practised the 'X-Box controller' position to ensure that we would have enough room for both of us to sit. 3 prices ... 3 fabric choices. No problems. Off we go to the fabric section.

At this point, John lost complete interest and wandered off to look at other furniture in the store.

A very helpful sales assistant found me and after explaining what couch we chose and the colours of the bedroom I found a fabric and colour I was happy with. It's pretty hard choosing a colour to match our dark blue wall but I think it will be OK. With some pretty cushions and maybe a throw rug it should all blend in nicely.

Next I found my chair (single chair for the corner of the bedroom) and I wanted this to be in complete contrast to the couch so I chose a bit of a way out, dotty material. J wasn't too thrilled with it I don't think but as he said 'as long as he has his x-box couch, he doesn't care'.

Sounds great doesn't it .... fairly seamless process, no arguing, agreement virtually straight away .... life is good.

Cue the sound of man finding the perfect lazy man's couch.

A tap on my shoulder and a pointed finger at the couch that J has now decided is THE perfect couch for the bedroom.

A 2 seater theatre couch no less!!! Big fat chunky arms, recliner on both chairs, 2 drink holders and another section to hold food and whatever else you want to hide in there.

A quick re-cap on the conversation:

A: No
J: But look at it, it's perfect

A: No
J: But it can hold my Bundy

A: No
J: Look how comfortable it is

A: No
J: You're a biatch

I love being married :-))

Anyway ... while breakfast was lovely with only a few complaints about not being allowed to have the couch he wanted, J then headed off to a day of sailing while I did some more shopping around (just to make sure there wasn't anything else around at a better price). After looking at a few stores, went back and put a deposit on the chair and couch ... delivery in 4-6 weeks.

So all in all, it was a reasonably successful shopping trip.

So while we're on a positive note .. I won't even give you the run down of Sunday's landscaping day. For those that have read our blog from the start you will know that when J&A work together in the back yard ...... sparks fly!!!!

I love being married :-))))))

2 comments:

Bernadette and Perry said...

I subscribe to your updates using an RSS feed reader thingy, and when I see a new update on your blog, it's the first one I look at - always entertaining!

I wasn't disappointed this time either. Mental note to self - stop reading entries from J and A at work and laughing out aloud. People who used to wonder about me have had their suspicions confirmed....

Toni said...

Your blog is better than watching a comedy on telly! Love it! Even better that you have photo's up as I can actually picture the two of you in the shop.

Great that you found a couch so easily! Look forward to the photos in 4-6 weeks ;-)

In this house I go shopping and hubby sees it on delivery! No q's asked, he really dislikes shopping!